Consumer perceptions of the role of packaging in reducing food waste
Packaging is often viewed as having a negative impact on the environment because it is left over once a product is consumed and has to be disposed of in the bin or through recycling. However, in many cases, packaging protects food and prolongs its shelf-life, with an overall reduction in environmental impact by reducing food waste. Food packaging can contribute to household food waste reduction by being designed to extend the shelf-life of food products, being available in numerous sizes for different sized households, communicating on-pack the best way to use and store a food item, assisting households to use date labels to better manage their food, and slowing the degradation of perishable foods.
Understanding the perception and use of packaging by consumers and how this plays a role in household food waste generation is an important first step in this project. With a greater understanding of how people appreciate and use packaging, along with the food waste they generate, we can design improved packaging and communications on food waste avoidance that will ultimately reduce food waste.
This project aims to understand consumer perceptions of the role of packaging in reducing food waste by:
- discovering target areas that will help drive packaging design decisions.
- discovering key consumer behaviours that may be adapted to reduce food waste.
- determining potential consumer responses to labelling and packaging alternatives in relation to food packaging.
- providing formative information for partners’ new product development processes.
- designing packaging solutions to reduce food waste.
- designing more effective consumer education campaigns to reduce food waste.
As this project progresses and achieves its milestones, we’ll share the good news on this page by adding information, links, images, interviews and more.
- Consumer perceptions project outline
- Consumer Perceptions of the Role of Packaging in Reducing Food waste – Insights Report
- Consumer Perceptions of the Role of Packaging in Reducing Food waste – Industry Think Tank Results
- Conceptual model (video)
- Industry report (Full)
- Food waste scenario (infographic)
- Consumer packaging perceptions (infographic)
- Consumer packaging perceptions (video)
Food Waste Journey Mapping
Existing Packaging Perceptions Survey
Packaging Design Concepts
Label and Packaging Design Consumer Survey
- Consumer acceptance of packaging design alternatives (industry report)
- Consumer acceptance of packaging design alternatives (full dataset)
Label and Packaging Design Consumer Focus Group
June 2019 – June 2021