SME Solutions Centre
Australia has two million-plus small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) that contribute over 50% of Australia’s GDP. SMEs have many challenges given their size, one of which is tackling food waste. This program provides access to funding, skills and expertise to find the best food waste solutions for SMEs to assist in their efficiency and sustainability.
The aim of the Fight Food Waste SME Solutions Centre is to provide dollar-for-dollar support to successful applicants to use researchers in the Fight Food Waste CRC to conduct short-term research that will find a solution to their agri-food waste problems.
The Fight Food Waste SME Solutions Centre will:
- test new and novel food processing, packaging and agricultural technologies to REDUCE food and agricultural waste
- identify valuable products in food and agricultural waste streams and TRANSFORM into new commercial opportunities
- ENGAGE experts from the Fight Food Waste CRC industry and research participants to identify technology opportunities and processes to enhance food and agricultural waste reduction.
Please read the Fight Food Waste SME Solutions Centre Overview to determine if this is the right fund for you.
- Applicant submits the SME Expression of Interest detailing the problem and why it needs to be solved
- FFW CRC researcher participants are invited to offer solutions by completing the Researcher Response to SME Food Waste Challenge
- Expressions of interest and researcher responses are assessed by the Fund Selection Panel who determine whether the application is feasible and should proceed to step 4.
- The applicant is invited to select from researcher responses received (having received a recommendation from the Fund Selection Panel).
- Finally, a Research Project Agreement is negotiated and entered between the successful applicant, research organisation and FFW CRC.
The Fight Food Waste SME Centre Coordinator will have an active role in managing all steps described above. Only Australian-registered companies with a minimum 12 month track record and trading history in/supporting the agri-food sector can apply for grant consideration, and only areas related to agri-food waste management will be considered as appropriate focus areas for possibly grant and research support.
For all enquiries, please contact the Fight Food Waste SME Solutions Centre Coordinator, Ross Naidoo, Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.
As this project progresses, we’ll share the good news on this page by adding information, links, images, interviews and more.
Please download our project information sheet..
August 2019 – June 2022