A message from Dr Steven Lapidge, CEO Fight Food Waste Limited:
Thank you to everyone who joined the second National Food Waste Summit and Trade Show. Your participation helped ensure the Summit was an unqualified success, and a milestone event on our journey to halving Australia’s food waste by 2030.
Changemakers from across the food industry, government and research institutions gathered in Brisbane on 23-24 November to explore the current, and future, landscape of food in Australia and the latest topics, trends, and solutions to Australia’s $36.6 billion food waste challenge.
In summing up the conference, I provided 10 actions that we all need to take in order to realise our shared food waste goals:
- Make the National Food Waste Strategy and Feasibility Study your friend and work with us to deliver on both.
- Sign up to the Australian Food Pact and encourage your business colleagues and supply chain partners to do the same.
- Sign the Letter of Support for the National Food Donation Tax Incentive.
- Help create the momentum for a harmonised Nationwide Consumer Behaviour Change Campaign; something reinforced by Queensland Environment Minister, the Hon. Meaghan Scanlon MP at her keynote address.
- Work with Fight Food Waste Ltd to help create the upcycled food industry in Australia.
- Get involved with our Future Leaders program as we want our great postgraduate students to be your future leaders.
- Jon Dee challenged us to think big, which will require serious money. So think BIG!
- Promote the mantra that Wasting Food Feeds Climate Change far and wide.
- Use every opportunity to design out food waste. It all starts with prevention.
- Collaborate, collaborate, collaborate!
We look forward to working together on these 10 actions.
The third National Food Waste Summit is scheduled for mid-2024. Visit our Get Involved page to sign up to our newsletter and stay updated with what’s happening at the CRC. .