A global food waste leader is wanted to join Fight Food Waste Ltd in Australia, the entity that manages and governs the Fight Food Waste Cooperative Research Centre (FFW CRC). The successful candidate will lead the FFW CRC’s TRANSFORM program, which aims to add value to food waste streams, with an aim of tripling its size over the coming years.
The FFW CRC is a $120 million, 10-year organisation that has a vision of an Australia without food waste. We are funded through the Commonwealth Government’s Cooperative Research Centre Program, industry participants, state governments, and tertiary institutions. The FFW CRC conducts dynamic and innovative research to reduce and transform food waste throughout the supply chain to deliver economic, social, and environmental benefits for Australia.
The position is a full-time role based at the University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus, Brisbane, with Adelaide a possibility. Frequent intra and interstate travel will be required for this national role.
The TRANSFORM Program Leader will perform the following duties:
Undertake a strategic review of the program area to identify R&D opportunities to maximise impact and optimal industry partners for each opportunity.
Build a strong, respected, trusted, and cohesive relationship between researchers and industry partners.
Develop projects with existing and new industry participants that represent world-class research and development, ensuring that the science involved is both of excellent quality and delivers real industry impact.
Implement the program in a manner that maximises the level of collaboration between participants of the FFW CRC and ensures that all researchers are attuned to the required outputs of projects and needs of industry. Ensure projects are carried out in an efficient manner that avoids research duplication.
Monitor project and program performance against the relevant milestone and organisational Key Performance Indicators. Take corrective action where necessary and recognise excellent performance where warranted.
Measure impact of the program and component projects against the seven FFW CRC impact criteria.
Represent program outcomes to the Board, participants, and the community in general. Integrate the outputs of individual projects to make sure that the R&D is understandable and relevant to end-users. Attract additional investment to the Program from existing and new Participants.
Review all projects and the program as a whole on a quarterly basis. Facilitate external review when appropriate and ensure the quality of work remains world-class.
Budget Develop and monitor program and project budgets in collaboration with project leaders. Maximize the use of resources within and between projects. Report to the Board and others on financial performance.
The qualifications and skills required for the position are:
- A proven performer with a history of achievement in the timely delivery of measurable outcomes.
- Capable of both broad strategic thinking and detailed operational analysis.
- Graduate and ideally postgraduate qualifications in food science or chemical engineering or similar. In addition, business and/or management qualifications will be highly regarded.
- Exceptional demonstrated leadership skills in leading industry-focused research, development, and commercialisation projects to deliver real impact for industry.
- Expert knowledge of the food waste problem globally and in Australia, successful waste reduction initiatives, and food waste valorisation options. Ideally recognised as a global leader in the fight against food waste.
- Highly developed industry business development skills with a demonstrated track record of attracting new participants and funding to food waste initiatives and working with or within a university environment.
- Exceptional written and/oral communication skills with a high level of comfort working with a diverse array of stakeholders.
- Well-developed administrative skills for tracking performance against project, program, and organisational Key Performance Indicators.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the food waste challenge in Australia and play a central role in Australia achieving Sustainable Development Goal 12.3, to halve food waste by 2030.
This full-time position will report to Ian Hardwick, the Fight Food Waste Ltd Chief Operating Officer, and Prof Mike Gidley within the University of Queensland, and will be supported by 1-2 team members.
The position is ongoing until December 31, 2027, subject to an annual performance review. A starting salary package (including statutory superannuation) in the range of $170K to $190K per annum will be offered based on experience.
Exceptionally qualified international applicants are encouraged to apply.
For further information please contact Fight Food Waste CRC CEO, Dr Steven Lapidge, on (+61) 0401 990 367 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY NOW!
Please apply through SEEK with a cover letter that specifically addresses the eight qualification and skill requirements above in no more than four pages plus a current concise resume (maximum four pages). Applications that do not address these requirements will not be considered.
Note: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close 5:00pm EST, Friday January 1, 2021.